hammer acceleration

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 14:31:52 -0500

Hi David,
              A quick and easy check of where the friction may be coming
from.
Measure the strike wt. of a few hammers. Find one or two old hammers with
similar strike wts. Install them, then remeasure the friction.  This will give
you an indication of the knuckle friction, old vs new.   PS Make sure the CP
friction is similar.
These type of comparative measurements can be illuminating.
A habit I have started, that I have found helpful, Is to rebush/resize and
fully rebuild the keybed before starting touch weight analysis.  This I
feel is
a fixed component with regards to friction. If the BR pin hole is correct, and
there is .002" clearance at the BR bushing, and .005" at the FR bushing.  Then
I have removed one more variable from the before and after evaluation.
I then do a few samples, wippens only, and compare,  then finally hammers and
shanks.  For the samples I just use all the C's.
Your friction seems a little high for me.  10-12gm range is where I like to
see
it.  But this is only one of the components.
Taking a lot of little steps, like this, just helps to stop me from getting
lost.  <G>

Roger