Vertical hammer boring angle

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:20:54 -0500

Hi Terry,

You've got the clue in your question:

> the boring distance should be like on a grand -
> just
>> a hair longer than where the shank becomes parallel with the strings

This is usually true of grand actions, but in verticals, the hammer contacts
the string _before_ the shank becomes parallel to the string, therefore, in
order to strike the string at a perpendicular, the hammer must be a little
less than 90 degrees.
Take a look at your vertical action model.

Ed Sutton