Steinway Rail Dowels

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:53:03 EDT

In a message dated 08/27/2001 3:51:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
nhunt@optonline.net writes:

> > Would machine screw inserts work?
> > Something along the lines of a helicoil.
> >
> > Then a machine screw would secure the flange.
> >
> > As long as the cursed brass rail is not split itself.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jon Page,   piano technician

It's possible Jon, if you are careful, the problem I have seen with helicoils
and for that matter larger sheet metal screws as mentioned earlier, is
distortion of the wood dowel by displacement and therefore distortion of the
brass rail.  This causes a very uneven flange rail with flanges pointing in
all directions and also uneven knuckle positions.  I have had great results
with CA glue applied carefully in stages and so far it seems to be a long
term fix.  Of course there are rails that can only be fixed by replacement.

David Koelzer