Pianist Karl Ulrich Schnabel Dies

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:38:06 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/01 2:29:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
skolnik@attglobal.net (David Skolnik) writes:

> He was an extremely genial man and always able to provide musical insights
> in his master classes, even if the student's performance was not the
> finest.  He was, however, extremely demanding when it came to pedal
> regulation, as he used extremely fine gradations of sustain pedal for
> coloration.

Thanks for your reply.  I was wondering if anyone from this List ever knew or
worked for him.  Your comment about pedal regulation is interesting too.
It's often overlooked and many people just "tromp" on them rather than using
them with any degree of sensitivity or gradation.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin