David Love/Tight action centers

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:43:19 -0400

David, Tom, List-
First, it seems as odd to me that we are still regularly required  to deal
with "beyond-tolerance" conditions in pinning, both action and tuning pin
torque (see recent Steinway  Tuning Pin).   Second, in my experience with
recent vintage Steinways, I am seeing an considerable amount of tight (to
the point of near-frozen)  hammer flange centers.  These are pianos that
have tended to sit idle for a good portion of the high summer humidity,
though I don't know if this is the only cause.  I have one on the bench
right now from which I removed a couple of shanks that were allowing only
two swings.  I treated the centers (conservatively) with alcohol/water and
am now getting 4-5 swings, which is as much as I would want right now.  I
would use pure methanol and gradually add water until you find a ratio
which works without over-shrinking.  You can get a very pure product from a
company call City Chemical in West Haven, CT.
         http://ec.innova.net/cgi-bin/ec.exe/home@CITYCHEM/ec

                                 City Chemical LLC –
                                         139 Allings Crossing Road
                                           West Haven, CT 06516
                                     Ph 1-800-248-2436/1-203-932-2489
                                             Fax 203 937-8400

I don't know if there is any reason why it shouldn't be used on Renner
'graphite' parts, however I suppose it is possible that the tightness in
those parts is being caused in a way which shrinkage alone will not remedy.
Del points out the undesirable qualities of graphite:

>The use of graphite as a so-called 'lubricant' on action cloth was a bad
>idea when first conceived and one that has not improved over the years. If
>something must be used, why not brush on a bit of Teflon powder? It's much
>more effective as a lubricant and it is not hygroscopic. It does not
>have--or cause--any known adverse reactions with any known centerpin
>material or plating. It does not cause the action centers to freeze up
>during and following periods of hard play. In other words, if something must
>be used, why not use something that is not known to be detrimental to the
>function of the piano? The problems associated with the use of graphite in
>this application have been well known for decades.

Of course, In Tom's case, the problem should be resolved by the time he
takes over the servicing from the dealer, no?

David Skolnik
New York, NY