referall fees..slight detour

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:45:08 -0700

I know just how you feel!

Please never say that to a dying person.  You DON'T know how they feel.
Just simply say "I"m sorry."

Also, never say "Is there anything I can do for you?"  Of course there is,
but they won't tell you.  If there is something that you feel you can do
that would not offend or be out of place, then JUST DO IT!

You could gently ask if there is some unfinished business you could take
care of  for them at no cost or something of that nature, but be specific.

I have strong feeling about tragedy.

Look at it this way:

A family tragedy occurs.  Everyone rushes to support, console, help etc. Yet
the shock of the loss is protecting the survivors for the time being.  Down
the road when the shock wears off, everyone has gone home and forgotten all
about it, then is when support is needed.  That's usually when the loss is
most intense.  I have tried to follow up sometime after the
 loss has occurred.

Don't worry about being dignified.  There's nothing dignified about dying.
Just be sincere.

Sorry, didn't mean to get so emotional.

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California