referall fees; last gasp

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:45:43 -0500

> I believe the price the jobber charges the customer is none of our
> business.
> If a jobber wants to give someone a break and not make anything on a job
> that's his prerogative, how can that be unethical?
>
> David Koelzer

Hi David,
              I thought we were talking about what a jobber charges a fellow
piano tech.  Since we do quite a few jobs for piano techs in the area.   I
sure
as heck don't want them quoting below my customer quoted prices,  by passing
their discount along to the consumer.
It make's it look as if we are gouging, in the customers eyes, and we have had
this happen.

Here's the full story. We charge $250.Cnd  to recover a set of keys, we
quote a
customer.  Simple eh!   Piano tech comes into the shop with a set of keys
about
a month later, we complete the work bill the tech $250 less 20%.
Run into the customer, who procedes to tell me that we over charge, she had
got
the job done by some one else for $200.
Since we had done the work,  I was not too impressed.   The tech had just used
his discount to under bid my self and others.
Needless to say we now decline any business from him.   Since we spell this
out
to any tech coming into the shop, for jobs like this.   I consider the
individual as being unethical.
By giving tech's in the area breaks like this, we get a lot of rebuilding
referals.  I would also decline work from techs that would want to mark up our
services by an unreasonable amount,.
Just my thought's on the issue.
Roger