stability of pitch raises

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:40:25 -0500

>Wouldn't adding additional tension to a string cause it to slowly stretch a
>tad after the initial tension increase? I have always assumed that to be the
>case when chipping the piano. I know it happened that way on my mother's
>clothes line (he said, setting himself up).
>
>Terry Farrell

There's a pretty big difference between chipping up new strings that
haven't been under tension since they were drawn and semitone flat strings
that have been under tension for 75 years. Sure new strings are going to
stretch. They are also going to have to bend around bearing points and such
to take the most direct path from hitch to tuning pin, so a lot more string
will have to be pulled up to increase pitch on new strings, and they will
"settle" more in the days after the chipping. Not the same animal at all.
The plate compression will work the same with either new or old strings.

Ron N