stability of pitch raises

Vanderhoofven dkvander@janics.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:03:53 -0500

Dear Terry,

If the piano is more than 4 cents away from the correct pitch it needs a
separate pitch correction before the fine tuning.  If it is a concert
tuning, the pitch needs to be within 2 cents of the correct pitch before
doing a fine tuning.  The fine tuning follows immediately after the pitch
raise, during the same tuning visit.  If it is a large pitch correction and
I am running short of time, I do as many passes as I can during the normal
tuning time and schedule a follow-up tuning as appropriate.  If I have
enough time, I do as many passes to get a solid tuning.

If the piano is only 5 cents from the correct pitch, I might make only one
pass, but I find that I still spend so much time checking the unisons that
I could have gone ahead and done two passes.  A two pass tuning is more
solid than a single pass tuning, at least for me.

If the piano is up to about 20 cents from the correct pitch It will take 2
passes (pitch raise and fine tuning) with either RCT or SATII.  If the
pitch is 20-50 cents from correct pitch, it will often take 2 passes with
RCT and 3 passes with SATII for me.  If the piano is 50-100 cents from
correct pitch, it will take 3 passes with RCT or SATII.  If the pitch is
over 100 cents from the correct pitch it will take 3 passes with RCT and 4
passes with SATII.  This is speaking from my personal experience.

My experience doing pitch raises is that with RCT the pitch raise seems to
be closer to the correct pitch on every note than with SATII.  SAT does a
nice pitch correction, but RCT is closer.

Best wishes

David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, Missouri

P.S.  And a note for Stephen Airy, I have done several pitch corrections of
over 250 cents in 2 hours, including a fairly stable fine tuning.  It is
possible to do the first pass with no mutes at all, but beyond the first
pass, I find it an exercise in futility to tune without mutes.  I encourage
you to get a tuning lever and practice tuning your own piano so you can
have some practical experience.

And as far as building a piano as small and cheaply as possible, many piano
makers have tried to do that and gone out of business trying to cater to
the lowest denominator.  I personally dislike tuning small pianos and
playing small pianos isn't that great either.  I encourage you to continue
to study all you can about piano technology.  Perhaps you can design a
small portable piano that weighs less than 100 lbs.  Let us know when you
do.  I would think your greatest challenge is finding a structural material
that is stronger than cast iron without all the weight of cast iron.