stability of pitch raises

Jon Page jon.page@verizon.net
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:08:36 -0400

At 10:43 AM 08/30/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>"If the piano is more than 8 cents off pitch it should be tuned a second
>time that day
>to even off the tension. Just think how well the piano will sound a few
>years later..."
>
>I'm trying to understand what you are saying here Jon. Are you saying that
>if the piano is more than 8 cents flat (or sharp) you should first do a
>pitch raise, and then do a separate tuning immediately after (or later in
>the day for some reason?)? Please differentiate between tuning and pitch
>raise and how many passes you might commonly do. If a piano is 5 cents
>flat do you commonly only do one pass, raising the pitch 5 cents while
>tuning? Thanks.
>
>Terry Farrell

Wait, 8 cents is two beats.  I should have said 16 cents or 4 beats per second.

A piano within 4 beats (~16 cents) can be left with an appreciable tuning
for general use with one pass.
A little beyond that maybe just a pass over the treble half a second time.
It all depends on the situation.

Concert work, 2 beats (8 cents) needs a pitch raise and tuning. That's
where I went wrong.

Lowering pitch is another thing altogether, more difficult. I'd rather
raise 4 pianos than lower one.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.