referall fees; last gasp (really)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:13:35 -0400

Hi Roger. I'm very interested in developing my shop work for the trade =
business. I understand the example below. Do you use the same system for =
a complete rebuild of the $10,000 to $25,000 nature? Does the referring =
tech get 20% of that work? Seems to me that $2,000 to $5,000 for the =
referral is steep. But of course that is the view from my vantage point =
(as the one that would be shelling out the referral fee). Seems to me =
there should be a formula for reduced percentage as total project budget =
goes up. What is your (or anyone else) take on that? Thanks.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: jolly roger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 11:45 AM
  Subject: Re: referall fees; last gasp

    I believe the price the jobber charges the customer is none of our =
business.  =20
    If a jobber wants to give someone a break and not make anything on a =
job=20
    that's his prerogative, how can that be unethical?=20

    David Koelzer=20

  Hi David,
                I thought we were talking about what a jobber charges a =
fellow piano tech.  Since we do quite a few jobs for piano techs in the =
area.   I sure as heck don't want them quoting below my customer quoted =
prices,  by passing their discount along to the consumer.
  It make's it look as if we are gouging, in the customers eyes, and we =
have had this happen.

  Here's the full story. We charge $250.Cnd  to recover a set of keys, =
we quote a customer.  Simple eh!   Piano tech comes into the shop with a =
set of keys about a month later, we complete the work bill the tech $250 =
less 20%.
  Run into the customer, who procedes to tell me that we over charge, =
she had got the job done by some one else for $200.
  Since we had done the work,  I was not too impressed.   The tech had =
just used his discount to under bid my self and others.
  Needless to say we now decline any business from him.   Since we spell =
this out to any tech coming into the shop, for jobs like this.   I =
consider the individual as being unethical. =20
  By giving tech's in the area breaks like this, we get a lot of =
rebuilding referals.  I would also decline work from techs that would =
want to mark up our services by an unreasonable amount,.
  Just my thought's on the issue.
  Roger