"Loss of Tone" Complaint

Patrick C Poulson pcpoulso@pacbell.net
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:17:14 -0700

Terry: I have experienced the same phenomenon.  Recently I restrung a baby
grand, and was appalled to find that there seemed to be no improvement in
the tone with the new strings! I compared the hammer produced tone to a
plucked tone, and the plucked tone gave the "new string" tone I was
expecting.  I had to harden up the old hammers quite a bit to get the piano
to sound like it had been restrung.  I will be replacing the hammers in the
piano this fall.   I too was at a loss to understand how these old hammers
could be so soft and poor at producing a tone, unless that's the way they
came from the factory.
Patrick Poulson, RPT