Quality of Pianos

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:09:19 +0200

Petrofs are one of those pianos on the low end of the medium priced instrument
market. As such there are going to be a lot of folks with a lot of differing
opinions.

My position on Petrofs is well known to this list. While having an overall nice
round full basic "klang" (sound) I find them to be plagued by a host of problems
rangeing from poor action assembly, to shody workmanship installing the pin
block or positioning bridge pins. These are largely hand fitted instruments
(unless the past couple of years has seen a change), and as such they of course
vary from from individual to another, sometimes quite a bit. If you get a
lemon...well you better pucker up...:) If you get a nice one you will no doubt
be very happy with it.

Nordiska pianos do not exist anymore. That will say the name is used on a piano
produced in asia somewhere, but it is not the Nordiska that was once produced in
Sweeden. These were typical for Nordic pianos, light touched, bright sounding.
Nordiskas are known for being "weather sick" over here. That will say that they
are not stable tuning wise. But tuned, they sound pretty nice.

I have no information on the present day Nordiskas that would prompt me to
recommend you look further in that direction.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.