stability of pitch raises

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:33:34 -0400

"Lowering pitch is another thing altogether, more difficult. I'd rather =
raise 4 pianos than lower one."

Just curious, why would that be? I have found the opposite to be true. I =
use a SAT. Are you going only by ear? Is that what makes it more =
difficult? I find less pitch adjustment needed when lowering pitch the =
same amount as a pitch raise.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 1:08 PM
  Subject: Re: stability of pitch raises

  At 10:43 AM 08/30/2001 -0400, you wrote:

    "If the piano is more than 8 cents off pitch it should be tuned a =
second time that day
    to even off the tension. Just think how well the piano will sound a =
few years later..."
    =20
    I'm trying to understand what you are saying here Jon. Are you =
saying that if the piano is more than 8 cents flat (or sharp) you should =
first do a pitch raise, and then do a separate tuning immediately after =
(or later in the day for some reason?)? Please differentiate between =
tuning and pitch raise and how many passes you might commonly do. If a =
piano is 5 cents flat do you commonly only do one pass, raising the =
pitch 5 cents while tuning? Thanks.
    =20
    Terry Farrell =20

  Wait, 8 cents is two beats.  I should have said 16 cents or 4 beats =
per second.

  A piano within 4 beats (~16 cents) can be left with an appreciable =
tuning for general use with one pass.
  A little beyond that maybe just a pass over the treble half a second =
time. It all depends on the situation.

  Concert work, 2 beats (8 cents) needs a pitch raise and tuning. That's =
where I went wrong.

  Lowering pitch is another thing altogether, more difficult. I'd rather =
raise 4 pianos than lower one.

  Regards,

  Jon Page,   piano technician
  Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.