Tight centers, etc.

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:29:43 +0200

Ulrika wrote:

> Richard
>
> not having any experience whatsoever with teflon
> powder, what properties does it have?

I think Dels post outlined that pretty well, but two main points...it does not
absorb moisture, and it is spherical shaped (not crystalline as graphite is)
.its rather it is rather like putting a whole bunch tiny ball bearings (very
slippery ones) in the felt.

> Isn't there a possibility of the cloth becoming too
> compact?

Actually, I suppose too much of a good thing is not so good here either... but
when rebushing, or simply repinning you dont really need to use all that much
to get the needed affect. Dry scrapy felt becomes smooth as a babies behind.

> Joe,
> how big a difference does the nickle plating make? in
> what ways?

Plating of any sort on center pins is not in my book of favorites. I think
Susan Klien wrote some while back about a particularlly bad combination of
plated centerpins / graphite / and moisture.... real life variables... Plating
can get scrapped up and scrapped off. There are good alternatives... so why
bother eh ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.