referall fees; last gasp (really)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:37:23 -0400

My dear Aunt Piannagonebad lives in Saskatoon. I do not live in your =
area. I told her that I know of a very reputable, ethical, skilled and =
talented piano rebuilder in her area. But I gave her your name instead.  =
 ;-)   (Humor Roger, humor!) I gave you a call and told you to expect a =
call my dear auntie. She signs a contract with you for you to do a =
complete job. $30,000 Canadian. Clearly, you have this work becuase I =
sent it to you. Do you have a method to make me really happy? Or do I =
just go to bed tonight feeling all warm and fuzzy inside, but no T-bone =
for dinner? Who knows, I might have an Uncle Piannasoontogobad in =
Sutherland!

Keeping Cool in Tampa
Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: jolly roger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 2:00 PM
  Subject: Re: referall fees; last gasp (really)

  Hi Terry,
                The short answer is no.  As a general rule of thumb, if =
the action or components are brought into the shop we will agree on a =
price to the customer with the tech involved, and work from there.  We =
get all kinds of pedal lyres and legs to repair and we don't know in =
advance what the labour is going to be.  Things like rebushing and =
keytops is straight forward.
  A complete rebuilding job, we like to deal with the customer directly, =
too many things can go wrong with the estimate.
  Regards Roger

  PS The key is building a good trusting relationship with the other =
tech, and do first class work.  He does not want to get caught with your =
mistakes.

  At 01:13 PM 8/30/01 -0400, you wrote:=20

    Hi Roger. I'm very interested in developing my shop work for the =
trade business. I understand the example below. Do you use the same =
system for a complete rebuild of the $10,000 to $25,000 nature? Does the =
referring tech get 20% of that work? Seems to me that $2,000 to $5,000 =
for the referral is steep. But of course that is the view from my =
vantage point (as the one that would be shelling out the referral fee). =
Seems to me there should be a formula for reduced percentage as total =
project budget goes up. What is your (or anyone else) take on that? =
Thanks.

    Terry Farrell =20
        ----- Original Message -----=20