Chick Corea (was Karl Ulrich Schnabel)

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:43:30 -0400

I had the priviledge of working for Chick Corea when he came to Detroit =
a couple of years ago.  He was a real gentleman with the exuberance of a =
kid with a brand new toy, and very quick with a sense of humor.  I got =
to the hall a little early and introduced myself.  He wanted to work out =
a "few more" musical ideas.  Finally he let me have at it with the =
piano, giving me a long wishlist of things he wanted done with only 20 =
minutes before the hall opened.

"That's a lot of work for 20 minutes." he admitted.

"Hey, it's only from one Bostonian to another," I replied.

He shot me that look of pure delight.  I did what I could in those 20 =
minutes.

He caught up with me during the break to give me a high-five.  Things =
only got better by the end of the concert.  I only wish he would play =
this area more often.  He was one of the most fun people to work with.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 1:44 PM
  Subject: Re: Chick Corea (was Karl Ulrich Schnabel)

  Actually I have had to opportunity to tune for Mr. Corea a number of =
times over the past 20 years. At Molde Int Jazz Festival, Natt Jazz in =
Bergen, and a couple non festival appearances here in town. He is =
probably one of the easiest of big name stars to tune for that I have =
had to attempt to please, and I have seen most of the jazz greats come =
through through the years.=20
  He is knows way more then the average pianist about our side of the =
buisness, too the point of understanding how volitile a tuning really =
is. He has an awful lot of respect for profesional pianotechs.=20

  No doubt you have to make sure you do a good job to please him, but =
hey....thats what they pay us the big bucks for aint it. I would be =
suprised if he would be against trying EBVT, as long as he knew ahead of =
time what was going on. Course if you tried pulling the wool over his =
eyes, I doubt that he would appreciate it much...:)=20

  Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:=20

    Chick sounds like one artist who would blow his stack if I tuned the =
EBVT.=20
    Although I consider it to be perfectly compatible with all fixed =
pitch=20
    instruments such as the Vibraphone, this is one of the artists who =
sounds=20
    like he knows what a real ET tuning is and will kill if he doesn't =
get it.=20
    He's come a long way since I saw him in the little dive in Hermosa =
Beach=20
    California called The Lighthouse back in the late '60's where he =
took it upon=20
    himself to correct tuning flaws in the piano while on stage.  This =
is one job=20
    I wouldn't take.  I prefer the smiles and the "Thank you so much" 's =
to the=20
    hell I might possibly catch if my idea for tuning the piano were=20
    misunderstood.=20

    Bill Bremmer RPT=20
    Madison, Wisconsin

  --=20