"Loss of Tone" Complaint

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 05:02:27 -0500

Hi Ron,
             I demonstrate string cleaning in my Prelude to voicing class,
there is a lot of very suprised faces in the the room. Punch line clean
strings= clean tone.  It's right up there with loose bridge pins for
producing unwanted noise,  and power loss.  Well maybe not quite as bad.  <G>

Take a string eraser and sharpen one end to a chisle shape,  use at an
angle and you can slip between the strings and clean the sides and most of
the underside.  The blunt end is used to clean the top sides of the strings.

I think some of the down ward pressure also helps seat the string.  Close
attention to all the bearing points,  string cleanliness, and hammer
mating, often saves you from having to do any thing further to the hammers.

Regards Roger