a short piano story

Fri, 31 Aug 2001 06:59:29 -0500

Dave,

At 02:43 08/31/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>It's 'beaucoup', and pronounced "bow-coo", not "bookoo" . ...

Merci beaucoup for that leçon, but you seem to forget that 'Mercuns are
justifiably proud of slaughtering pronunciation. We'uns do it so well.

Witness:
  Pierre, SD (peer), Versailles, PA (ver SALES), and Prairie du Chien, WI
(sheen). Of course, there's always Notre Dame, Detroit and Des Moines.

Mercuns are nothing if not equal opportunity manglers of words and names.
Check out reactions if you use the "correct" pronunciation of Montevideo
MN, Guttenberg IA, or the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia. (the folks in
Schuylerville NY do a pretty good job, though)

Just remember, you will not necessarily be angered in Angers, France, and
Nice is nice no matter how you pronounce it.

Conrad Hoffsommer -
I've been wrestling with reality for most of my life.
I'm pleased to say I've won.
mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu