improving bass tone without replacing strings/hammers?

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 07:16:26 -0500

Steven,

    I have two suggestions which could help with tone clairty and energy. Is
the hammer contacting both wires at the same time? To check this, depress
the damper pedal, and with a wire hook, gently lift the hammer shank and
press the hammer against the bi- or tri-cord wires. Pluck the individulal
wire, and see if one is "leaking". If so, fit the hammer to the contour of
the wires, or at the agraffe, lift the low wire up level with the other one
or two wires.
    To get out of the piano all that it is capable of, be sure escapment is
happening 'as close as possible'.

As a side note, when twisting bass wire, sometimes we are fooled by the
wrapping direction going one way, and the loop twist going the other. In
other words, don't rely on the loops twist direction at the hitch pin, to
determin the direction to twist the wire. Always check the wrapping.

Dan