Bass strings changing scale

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 01:20:37 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: John Delacour <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: sanderson Bass strings/scale

| To change the wire gauges on a Steinway is deliberately to change the
| character of the tone -- and inevitably for the worse.  |
| JD

I have wondered since hearing some of the practices of the bass string
makers, don't they "change the scale" by the methods they use?   What is
the "scale stick" I have heard that is used by M and others?   You send a
paper impression and the first and last string of each division.   Do you
still get the same "scale" back?
I have heard that makers in the end cut and try bass strings.  What ever
sounds the best they use.  (And then apply it to the rest of the models I
presume)   Does this account for reported "gross" jumps in tension
throughout the bass scale.  So if the string maker uses a "scale stick" do
these "gross" differences come back the same or altered?
    Then what about the way a bass string is made.   Some mention was made
about how the copper is held when winding.   A good example in the Journal.
I would think bass strings would have a diff characteristic when wound
"loose" than wound "tight". Is this true and does such a practice exist?
(tight vs "loose" windings)   Or is there a "universal" tightness that
everybody seeks when winding bass strings.?   ---ric