Tuning lever heads

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 01 Dec 2001 08:14:29 -0500

Friends,

I'd like to take this discussion a different direction.  As I admitted
recently, I am a left-handed tuner.  When I am tuning a grand piano, my
preferred position of the tuning hammer is about 5:00, which brings the handle
out over the front top edge of the grand piano.  On verticals I use a 1 1/2"
tuning lever head whenever possible, but I also carry a 3" head which I use on
grands and sometimes on verticals where the short head won't work.

But even that doesn't work on a 1993 Kawai GM-1 grand.  That front piece (front
beam, stretcher?) is simply too high.  Positioning the hammer at 3:00 would
have worked, I suppose, but the twist in my back felt uncomfortable at best and
unhealthy at worst.  I found out that piece was purely cosmetic and by removing
four screws the whole thing simply lifted off, so that's what I've been doing
with that piano ever since.  I told the client what she needs is a right-handed
tuner, but chances are she'll stick with me.  I think she likes me (in a
strictly platonic way -- now don't go getting the wrong idea).

Somewhere along the line I picked up the idea that the shorter the tuning lever
head, the better, so I am hesitant to buy a 4", 5" or 6" head, especially when
I need it for only one piano.  Advice, anyone?

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA