The Examiner has no Clothes!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 10:38:40 -0500

One thing I don't quite understand here is what is the deal with =
"examiners"? If you are taking an exam, then they are in some position =
of authority/responsibility/whateverity. If you are a group of piano =
techs looking at the workmanship of a rebuilder's product, what =
status/?rank? does an "examiner" have? I agree that they should likely =
be somewhat knowledgeable, they are likely a very good tuner, and they =
at least know how to do the basic skills addressed in the tests, but I =
don't know that it makes them the final word on rebuilding.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I do understand the venting thing though. I have made similar posts. It =
blows me away some of the "rebuilding" work I have seen.

Terry Farrell

Webwraith59@AOL.COM wrote:=20
    The examiners in my old chapter would probably rather pierce their =
eardrums than show the rebuilding workmanship or behavior this person =
has.  I'm posting this anonymously to protect his/her identity.  I'm =
planning to send him/her a copy of the responses.  I'm also interested =
to know whether you think I'm out of line, here.=20
    Questions:=20

    1)   How many turns should there be in a tuning pin coil in the =
tenor section of=20
    an S&S "B?"=20
    2)   Should the tail of a string pass over one duplex scale bar, or =
between two?=20
    3)   Should a single string hitchpin loop contact/cross a duplex =
bar?=20
    4)   Should the wires be parallel as they leave the hitchpin?=20
    5)   Should stringing braid be installed in an S&S "B?"=20
    6)   Should a reshaped hammer resemble a(n):=20
    a) egg shape=20
    b) rounded diamond shape=20
    c) rounded hatchet shape=20
    7)   Should new damper felts (regulated) effectively dampen?=20
    8)   If you were rebuilding an S&S "B" and a pedal was wobbly, would =
you pop out the pedal assembly and tighten the screws while you were at =
it?=20
    9)   If you were a PTG examiner, would you use your rank to try and =
intimidate someone who disagreed with one aspect of your work?=20
    10)  Rebuilders:  Does a technician have to chose to do bellywork in =
order for you to consider his/her opinion?=20

    Actually, only rebuilders need respond, as he/she made clear that =
those were the only people he/she would respect in any way.=20

    Webwraith=20

    PS These aren't all the problems I encountered.

   =20
   =20
  --=20
  Richard Brekne=20