Bass strings changing scale

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:47:13 +0000

At 10:48 AM +1100 12/3/01, Overs Pianos wrote:

>A few of us have been using 'Z' as a guide for some time. While it
>is sort of black art as you say, its considerably better than
>building something then seeing which way the wind blows.
>Furthermore, once you've had experience with it you may find it
>useful as a guidance tool for future projects, or if it turns out to
>be a waste of time as you suspect...

In the absence of any solid information from any quarter as to the
_application_ of the principle, I am ill-equipped to judge.
Interested in the concept, I sought clarification by asking making
specific requests ...

At 5:30 PM +0000 11/22/01, John Delacour wrote:
>This would all be a lot easier to grasp if one of you would make a
>sample scale available, not that the principles are hard to grasp
>but that an actual string scale would make it clear how you apply
>them in a certain case.  If these are not trade secrets, I for one
>would love to have a spreadsheet doc of one of your scales.

... and got no responses.  You both make claims for the method and
then refuse to give any worked example or clear explanation.  I asked
the questions because I want to know more.  Theodore Steinway licked
his finger, held it to the wind and capped the bridge at the treble
with box, decades before the word impedance existed and probably a
century before it migrated to acoustics.  You now suggest that there
is a formula that would have made that design choice more
predictable.  Well, I'm interested and I want to know how that
formula or at least the guiding principle is applied.  I began by
expressing interest and my scepticism grew as any practical
explanation failed to appear.

In designing strings for existing bridges I take account of a number
of factors such as tension, wire stress, copper/steel ratio,
undercover/top cover ratio etc. etc. and I make no mystery of it.
Naturally a few thousand sets of bass strings down the line,
experience has taught me which principles are to be applied to which
types of scale and I can tell you the range is pretty wide.

I would be only too happy to have that experience and intuition
expressible in usable formulae, since it would allow more complete
automation of the design process, save me perhaps three minutes on
the calculation of each set, and extend my understanding of the
principles I work with, just as I am keen to understand the effects
of longitudinal vibration or the reasons whipping works.

If I had based my practice on Wolfenden's guidelines when I started
making strings and continued there, I would have made far worse
strings.  His work generally was most useful in his day, but when he
came to bass strings he was out of his depth and had not the breadth
of experience.  As a result he theorizes on the basis of received
knowledge from men in the field and gets things wrong.  The same goes
to some extent for a well-known German of our day and for anyone I've
seen write on bass strings.

I've no reason to doubt the sound quality of your pianos.  I have
come across and own Schiedmayers to die for, but I cross myself
before I string them and would not dream of imitating their scales.
Just give me some solid info as to how you apply the Z formula and
publish a bass scale that uses it.

JD