tuning octaves using partials

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 09:21:47 -0500

> Gary Mc wrote:
>
> How do I know if I'm tuning a 2:1, 4:2, or 6:3 octave? And why are
> they used in different places.  How do I know when to use which one?
> Sorry to be so elementary, but I know the terms and what they mean.  I
> just don't know when to use one in place of another.
> (I may know this, but I just don't know if I know it!)
> Thanks for any advice
> Gary McCormick

Evidence is that the human ear automatically switches from one octave
type to another without us knowing how, where or why.  The where has
been analyzed and the EDTs are programed to switch at specific points,
different locations for different machines.

You can test by using 10ths and 17ths for upper octaves (2:1, 4:2) and
seeing which is closest to you octave.

A minor 3rd inverted into a major 6th will indicated the 6:3 when the
minor 3 is slight slower.  Example: C2 D#2 compared D#2 C3.

Knowing the partial series will help sort them out at a keyboard.

		Newton