tuning octaves using partials

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:57:53 EST

In a message dated 12/3/01 8:08:49 AM Central Standard Time, gmcc@charter.net
writes:

> How do I know if I'm tuning a 2:1, 4:2, or 6:3 octave? And why are they used
> in different places.  How do I know when to use which one?
> Sorry to be so elementary, but I know the terms and what they mean.  I just
> don't know when to use one in place of another.
> (I may know this, but I just don't know if I know it!)
> Thanks for any advice
> Gary McCormick

Gary

Ever since I have been tuning, I have been hearing about 2:1, 4:5 , 8:6, 3/4,
common time, (what ever), etc., intervals. I could never understand those
ratios. Why confuse the tuning with a lot of mathematical garbeldy gook.

I concentrate on the intervals, and how they sound. If they don't sound
right, I correct them. When it sounds right, I leave it alone. I don't go
analyzing what kind of ratio it is.

Even with the use of an SAT, which is built on the ratio thing, I try not to
let that information creep into my tuning.

Just my views

Wim