Z Formula

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:11:53 -0800

JD,
I have been using the "Z" formula as criteria for scale evaluation, for many
years. I have found that the graphing of this makes my rebuilds have a
smoother transition throughout the compass of the piano. I have many scales
on disk file that show the process. These are extensive and would be
overburdening to the list, if I posted them. If I were to send them to you
via snail mail, the cost would be enormous, as each envelope would weigh in
at about a pound. So, having said this, I hope that you will avail yourself
of the possibility that the Z formula does have some merit and try it, by
using your previous scales records and re-run them using the original scale,
(with the Z formula), and then a comparative with your "end" scale, (also
using the Z formula). When you look at the graphs you will probably find
that you have, intuitively been doing much the same, but without the math
aid of the Z formula. Of course, this is speculation on my part, but I
suspect, through trial and error, you have become intuitive in this regard.
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
P.S. If you do not have a computer program, available, with the Z formula, I
would be happy to send you an olde one. We are currently revising the
program "Scale Master" from a DOS to Windows program. The one I have
available to offer you is a DOS version.