Bass strings changing scale

Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:24:05 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Delacour" <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 03, 2001 2:47 AM
Subject: Re: Bass strings changing scale

> At 5:30 PM +0000 11/22/01, John Delacour wrote:
> >This would all be a lot easier to grasp if one of you would make a
> >sample scale available, not that the principles are hard to grasp
> >but that an actual string scale would make it clear how you apply
> >them in a certain case.  If these are not trade secrets, I for one
> >would love to have a spreadsheet doc of one of your scales.
>

> ... and got no responses.

In most cases the spreadsheet templates used to calculate stringings scales
are considered proprietary. I certainly consider mine to be so. True, I
could probably copy out all of the lengths, wire sizes, etc., for a scale or
two, but it's time consuming and what would be the point?

Ron N. gave you the basic relationship and at least one resource for further
information if you want to read more about it.

> ....You now suggest that there
> is a formula that would have made that design choice more
> predictable.

I don't think any of us have claimed our techniques for calculating
stringing scales would have helped Mr Steinway in his choice of bridge
capping material. Primarily it is an aid in working accross the bass/tenor
break.

Del