Negative bearing (long)

Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:09:45 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: December 03, 2001 12:04 PM
  Subject: Re: Negative bearing (long)

  Delwin D Fandrich wrote:=20
    =20
    The understanding of soundboard function has moved a bit beyond the =
purely=20
    empirical--even beyond 90% empirical--though certainly not to the =
stage of=20
    pure science either. Still, techniques such as modal analysis have =
enabled=20
    the study of soundboard function at a level not even dreamed of even =
thirty=20
    or forty years ago. It is my hope that before I pass from the scene =
that=20
    this understanding will be still some closer to scientific and much =
less=20
    reliant on the empirical.=20
    Del

  Been reading and weeding through and find much that is interesting, =
but this comment caught my eye and I must admit is confusing. I wrote =
about modal analysis a year and a half back and you came out and said it =
was basically useless in designing soundboards, since the conditions for =
measurement are different then the conditions for full strung, and if =
done full strung well the deed is already done so to speak... further =
you pointed out then that you meant that there was no reliable way of =
forcasting said changes.=20
   =20

  From the fall of 1999  where we were in a disscussion about impedance =
matching, and the usefullness of modal analysis came up I submit the =
following three posts.=20

Pease go back and read what I wrote, to wit:
    "One of the problems I have with most of the testing I have seen on =
the piano soundboard is that it was done on an unloaded board and is, =
therefore, largely meaningless."

There is no rule that states modal analysis cannot be done with good =
results on a loaded board, complete with strings. It's just more =
difficult. Tests with unloaded boards are, in my opinion, largely =
meaningless. It becomes something else when done in a real world setting =
complete with strings and loading. Again, my experience is some limited. =
I have only used the technique to analyze one soundboard assembly and it =
did lead to some considered changes in the ribbing which--again, in my =
opinion--improved the performance of the piano involved.=20

Del