key bushings

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:44:13 -0500

For those of you who use cauls for replacing key bushings, I'm curious
if you have a favorite size to use. I am taught that the balance rail
bushing should be sized to be 0-.002" larger than the balance rail pin
size, and the front rail bushing should be .004-.007" larger than the
front rail pin width.

For .145" pins, I guess it would be reasonable to choose a .147" caul
for the balance rail bushing and a .150" caul for the front rail bushing.

Does anybody prefer a different approach to choosing the size? Do some
people like them to be snugger?

Thanks,

Charles Neuman