key bushings

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:04:37 -0500

At 09:44 PM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>For those of you who use cauls for replacing key bushings, I'm curious if
>you have a favorite size to use. I am taught that the balance rail bushing
>should be sized to be 0-.002" larger than the balance rail pin size, and
>the front rail bushing should be .004-.007" larger than the front rail pin
>width.
>For .145" pins, I guess it would be reasonable to choose a .147" caul for
>the balance rail bushing and a .150" caul for the front rail bushing.
>Does anybody prefer a different approach to choosing the size? Do some
>people like them to be snugger?
>Thanks,
>Charles Neuman

For the front rail, the season of the year would dictate which caul I would
use.
If rebushing in the summer (high humidity) use the .147 caul to allow for
shrinkage in the winter heating season
when the bushing gap will become larger.
If rebushing in the winter (low humidity) use the .152 caul to allow for
swelling in the summer when the bushing gap will become smaller.

This way the bushing fit will not end up too loose or too tight when the RH
changes.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.