Soundboard grain angle

Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:38:38 -0800

From: "Phillip L Ford" <fordpiano@lycos.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 05, 2001 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: Soundboard grain angle

> Thanks Dale.  I wasn't aware that pianos in general don't have the belly
rail perpendicular
> to the straight side.  The scope of my ignorance seems to get greater with
the passage of
> time rather than smaller.
> If we're really going to be precise we should specify that it is 45
degrees measured
> counterclockwise from the straight side (as opposed to 45 degrees
clockwise from the
> straight side which is what I've been talking about in some of these
posts).

> Phil F

Phil,

Below, assuming it makes it through the ether intact, is an illustration of
how I specify soundboard grain angles. This sketch also shows a bellyrail
perpendicular to the straight side, or the spine. Along with a radial, or
fan, rib configuration. And a soundboard cutoff bar.

Del

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/gif