Fanned ribs (was Soundboard grain angle)

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 14:06:55 -0500

At 03:57 PM 12/6/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:56:42
>  Ron Nossaman wrote:
> >I decide first and last fan angles and
> >positioning by bridge placement and case shape, and eyeball everything=
 else
> >in between - avoiding those nose bolts and accommodating bass bridge
> >placement. There isn't a vanishing point for the fan, nor is it=
 necessary.

> >Ron N
> >
>Ron,
>Do your ribs fan out from a point on the bent side, like the ones shown on=
=20
>the sketch
>sent out by Del a couple of days ago?  Why do you feel you get better=20
>results with a
>fan arrangement rather than parallel ribs, varying their spacing and=20
>properties?
>
>Phil F

The 1893 M&H Screwstringer upright currently in my shop has an interesting=
=20
grain and cutoff bar application.

The grain runs about 90=B0 to the bridge in the tenor section (42=B0 to the=
=20
bottom; as viewed from the back)
The ribs run roughly 27=B0 to the grain through this section (69=B0 to the=
 bottom).
The cutoff bar(s) form a sort of a tear-drop shape encompassing the main=20
board/bridge area.
I can send a jpg of it to anyone interested.

I am hopeful to the improvement in tone that repairing the split rib and=20
the loose board over the cutoff bar as well as
eliminating the 0 counterbearing in the high treble. I replaced the=20
stripped screws in the counterbearing bar with longer ones.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net