Biasco Baldwin Puzzler

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 21:58:46 EST

Went to a new client's house today.  Baldwin Acrosonic(!) 8 months old,
purchased from Biasco.  The pianist in the house, the daughter, had left me
instructions to take a look at the very bottom key, A, which buzzed or
rattled.  There was also a key in the tenor range which had a "hollow" sound
when the sustain pedal was used.  I checked that first, and I found that the
damper was not regulated properly and would not lift off the string when the
damper pedal was used.  Actually there were three like this that needed
adjusting, and so, a bend at the bottom, one at the top, and on to the next
problem.

Played the low A.  Yipes, talk about a rattle!  This was not some subtle
timbre thing, it sounded like a something was in contact with the string,
like a pencil or something metallic.  Took off the kneeboard and immediately
I could see the problem.  I've only been in the biz for 5 years, but I've
never seen this one before.  Keep in mind that this piano is 8 months old and
was purchased from Biasco!

What caused the rattle?

Tom Sivak

P.S.
Not relevant to the puzzler, the client paid $4K for it---but he told me, "It
was marked down from $8K.   They must have really needed to sell it quick."

P.P.S.
Also not relevant, I just spellchecked this document, and the spellchecker
suggested I replace Biasco with Fiasco.