Biasco Baldwin Puzzler

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@attbi.com
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 19:17:02 -0800

I heard/saw a piano once that had bridge pins missing that caused a =
rattle like that.
Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@attbi.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tvak@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 6:58 PM
  Subject: Biasco Baldwin Puzzler

  Went to a new client's house today.  Baldwin Acrosonic(!) 8 months =
old,=20
  purchased from Biasco.  The pianist in the house, the daughter, had =
left me=20
  instructions to take a look at the very bottom key, A, which buzzed or =

  rattled.  There was also a key in the tenor range which had a "hollow" =
sound=20
  when the sustain pedal was used.  I checked that first, and I found =
that the=20
  damper was not regulated properly and would not lift off the string =
when the=20
  damper pedal was used.  Actually there were three like this that =
needed=20
  adjusting, and so, a bend at the bottom, one at the top, and on to the =
next=20
  problem. =20

  Played the low A.  Yipes, talk about a rattle!  This was not some =
subtle=20
  timbre thing, it sounded like a something was in contact with the =
string,=20
  like a pencil or something metallic.  Took off the kneeboard and =
immediately=20
  I could see the problem.  I've only been in the biz for 5 years, but =
I've=20
  never seen this one before.  Keep in mind that this piano is 8 months =
old and=20
  was purchased from Biasco!

  What caused the rattle?

  Tom Sivak

  P.S.
  Not relevant to the puzzler, the client paid $4K for it---but he told =
me, "It=20
  was marked down from $8K.   They must have really needed to sell it =
quick."=20

  P.P.S.
  Also not relevant, I just spellchecked this document, and the =
spellchecker=20
  suggested I replace Biasco with Fiasco.