Promotional items: Was "calendars"

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 09:25:19 -0800 (PST)

I've enjoyed this thread.

I was thinking about what I might like to receive
as a "gift" if I were the customer and my piano
tuner was leaving me something.

A refrigerator magnet might get hung on the
fridge, but it's clutter to me.

A calendar may or may not get used, depending
upon how many I already have and how "pretty" it
happens to be to MY eye.  (What's pretty to me
may not be what's pretty to you.)

I went to a real estate settlement about 10 years
ago where I sold a piece of property.  The title
company that was pretty much doing the bulk of
the work gave each of us there a pen.  It was not
a cheap pen.  It was not one of the "knock-offs"
from the "National Pen Corporation" types.  It
was a Cross (I think that was the name) pen with
a precision retracting mechenism and a beautiful
writing fine black ball point.  I refilled it
several times before it finally passed on (wore
out) just a year or so ago.

In my opinion, that was probably one of the best
gifts I had received that may be considered
"advertising".

It was probably not a $0.50 or $0.75 item, but
rather I would guess more like a $5.00 or $6.00
item, maybe more.  But I got attached to that
pen.  And if my piano tuner wanted me to get
"attached" to his "gift", I would hope he or she
might think similarly.  Forgive me if I don't get
excited about a pen that'll quit shortly after I
receive it or write poorly until I finally get
frustrated enough with it to throw it away.  And
similarly, please forgive me if I need more than
the average guy to make an good impression.

My minds says, if you're going to do it, make it
something special or don't do it at all.  If you
want to give them a pen, make it one that they'll
be upset if they lose it.

Just sharing my thoughts.  No offense intended.
I hope I didn't come across as critical for I
didn't mean it in that spirit.

Best wishes to all,

Brian T.

=====