Biasco Baldwin Puzzler

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 10:36:08 -0700

    Bill Bremmer wrote:

    "Welcome to the real world.  There are good piano dealers but face the
facts, most people who sell pianos don't know a thing about prep, don't want
to know a thing about prep and certainly don't want to pay anything for it.
They are cigar smoking men in a suit with a "shoeshine and a smile" (Arthur
Miller) who only want to push the *unit* out the door and get the money in
the bank.

Your instructions as the technician are as follows:

JUSTOONEM!!! "

    Unfortunately, this does seem to be the norm, rather than the exception.
I know one dealer in the Los Angeles area whose technicians just fill out
the cards on the Yamaha Service bond. How do I know? Because when I actually
did do a correct service for them, I billed him for it. I got a call from
him saying "What's this?" He informed me that not one of his other techs had
ever billed him for doing the work.    Gee, I wonder how much time they
spent on actually doing anything.

    I currently work full time for a dealership in the Phoenix area. When we
prep a piano, nobody is standing over our shoulder telling us to hurry up,
and I pretty much can take as much time as I need to give the piano what it
needs. I do something very much like the procedure listed out in Tom Sivak's
original post. In fact, about three months ago I did a chapter presentation
on effective and time saving piano preparation. Tom had an 11 point prep
list, mine is about twenty points, but pretty much the same.

    So, dealers ain't all crooks, but they all do some pretty questionable
things occasionally.  'Nuf said.

    BTW, I've been working six days a week for the last two months;  The
sixth day I'm reserving for private clients. Can't work for somebody else my
whole life!

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com