double-wound strings

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 20:18:40 -0800 (PST)

  John Delacour <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk> wrote:
At 2:02 PM -0800 12/10/01, Stephen Airy wrote:

>What upright do you have?

I have quite a few, but the ones I shan't sell are are two Lipps and
a Brinsmead -- and maybe a Schiedmayer.

What size are they?

>Also, do you know what the scale is on the Baldwin
>6000? I'm curious to see what notes are on the bass
>bridge, what notes are single string, double string,
>etc...

No idea. Baldwins don't sell here. Can't you measure it?

Never seen one.

>I've twisted all my bass strings, and many of my
>double-covered strings sound fairly nice, although
>there are still a few somewhat tubby ones.

Mmm. New strings should be twisted; old strings should be renewed.
Twisting a string that has gone dull either simply masks the dullness
and introduces all sorts of odd noises or else kills the string dead.

Of my monochords, A0 and A#0 have been replaced and sound fairly nice (but A#0 is a little better), B0 and C1 are ok but have a slight false beat, with C1 being a little tubby, C#1 is probably my best sounding old d/c monochord string, D1 is nice, D#1 is ok but has a little bit of the "odd noises", E1 is also ok but not up to par, F1 is somewhat tubby, and F#1 is similar to E1.

JD