Piano Finishes

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 07:17:53 -0500

A quick finish can be applied with linseed oil and shellac.

Wipe the oil on an area and then rub the area with a padded cloth
which was dipped into shellac.  Move fast and lightly because it
sets up right away.

It is not a durable finish as far as alcohol resistance goes or wear resistance
due to the thickness (unless multiple applications) but it has it's
applications.

At 06:58 AM 12/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:<snip>
>You may consider investigating into the newer "wiping varnishes", which
>are still hand applied, but have better build.  Or, you can make your own
>concoction by using the basic formula of one part varnish, one part tung
>oil (or linseed oil) and one part mineral spirits.  You can adjust the
>proportions to suit your preferences, but that is the general starting point.
>I would suggest checking out Jeff Jewitt's "Hand Applied Finishes" for
>very in-depth information and techniques for applying and manipulating
>oil finishes.
>Mark Potter

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician