Temperament, A pianist responds

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:32:15 EST

Richard writes:
<< but it does seem to me that David is talking about the Key of E major
here, which he states has more colour in the Young compared
to the Broadwood<<

David writes:
>>Those thirds contribute substantially to the character of E major.

   I agree that the cumulative amount of tempering is greater in the Young,
but the amounts don't necessarily make a huge difference in the way the key
of E sounds in a Broadwood vs a Young.
     In comparing these two temperaments, the tonic thirds are identical, the
V is only 4 cents wider in the Young and the IV is only 2 cents difference.
I don't find those differences enough to warrant calling one "fairly active"
and the other "dissonant".  Yes the Young provides more contrast, but I don't
hear it as dissonant.

now, for some slight assistance from the established literature of today, I
went to the new Groves today, and would like to just toss the following onto
the fire: (I'd hate for somebody to think I just made all this up!)

According to Schindler, in 1860:
   "Beethoven in his last years maintained a keen interest in expressive
characteristics of different keys and suggested they were most apparent in
piano music. <<

Lindley writes:
"It is unclear to what extent Beethoven may have attributed the difference to
acoustical factors, but his piano music does in fact benefit from an 18th
century unequal temperament"  ( Lindley 1997 chap. 5)

Regards,
Ed