Piano Finishes

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 01:28:54 +0000

At 12:48 PM -0800 12/11/01, Joseph Garrett wrote:

>  You make the decision. IMHO Lacquer or Varnish are the
>only "proper" finishes. I wouldn't consider the Polyester finishes, because
>that stuff is extremely Carcinogenic when it's in a liquid state. (according
>to EPA)

Me too.  I started in the trade by learning to frenchpolish to a
glass finish and that's how I do it now.  Now all the old-timers are
dead, there are less than a handful in the country that know the art
and I treasure the knowledge.

In between I've experimented with umpteen different finishes and
hated them all.  Most of all I hate polyester.  The only product that
came near to giving a thin hard bright finish was an acid-catalysed
melamine lacquer I tried, but the fumes were horrendous as it cured.

JD