Key Bushings & Hot Hide Glue

Jon Rhee jrhee@fai-arch.com
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:36:24 -0500

Charles,

Schaff's cabinet glue is a hot hide glue. Cabinetmakers and fine furniture
makers used/still use hot hide glue.  Hide glue (rendered from the hides of
animals) was the glue of choice (or only choice ?) before synthetics came
about.  It is desirable because among other things it is forgiving and
removed easily by steam/heating.  Basic carpenters don't use it probably
because it's not quick and dirty (carpenters don't mistake my meaning), and
they don't need to be able to remove pieces later or reset them during
assembly.

Jon Rhee
Weymouth, MA