Cracked plate

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 08:38:03 -0500

On Thursday, December 13, 2001, at 08:13 AM, Todd Mapes wrote:

> List,
> =A0
> This week I experienced my first cracked plate.=A0 It's not an =
experience=20
> I would like to have again.=A0

Dear Todd,
The Boston Chapter had a technical presentation on plate repair by metal=20=

stitching for our November meeting. This is a process which I have heard=20=

of for a long time but never had a chance to speak with a practitioner=20=

of this procedure. It's for real, he's been fixing engine blocks,=20
boilers, etc. for over 35 years, and a few piano plates too.
During the Q&A period a new chapter member -- I forget his name, but=20
he's a new engineer at Mason & Hamlin, worked for Baldwin in the past,=20=

etc. related his experiences with broken plates. His advice was to=20
ALWAYS inspect the plate for any suggestions of instability; otherwise=20=

any small (or large) claims decision will undoubtedly go AGAINST the=20
technician who is expert and "should know better".
Bottom line: we should all have liability insurance.

Patrick Draine

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched