Thanks: Re: agraffes on - agraffes off

David Foster pno2nr@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:19:50 -0500

List,

Many thanks to the person who made the suggestion (I forget who it was now)
about swapping agraffes in order to get them lined up without using shims.
I tried that yesterday on a Steinway A, and in most cases it worked quite
well.  Switching one agraffe that was turned too far with one that was not
turned far enough seemed to do the trick for each of them.  I still had to
use about a dozen or so shims here and there, but that's not bad for a whole
set.  Plus, it presents the agraffe replacement job as a kind of puzzle,
making it more enjoyable.

One tip I have not seen published here involves using a flat 3/8" speedbit
to remove a little (a little now!) material from the agraffe recesses.  The
spur keeps the bit centered in the agraffe hole.  This has worked well for
me for those agraffes that are just shy of lining up.

Dave Foster