TlabPro tuning

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:35:42 -0500

Jim,
    I tried this method today, finally. I had this particular piano tuned
to a rather wild HT so it took a couple passes to make it stick. What I
found after tuning was that the piano had a nice pure sound in the center
that became progressively wilder the further out you went. I also noticed
while playing that there were rather distinct crossover points. I could
really notice the 4:2 to 8:1 jump and C6. It rapidly began to sound quite
shrill to my ears. I guess I just don't like that much stretch. The jump
from the pure 5ths to the double octaves at A4 was noticeable too but not
really as much as the one at C6. I goofed up the adjustment going down
into the bass and wound up tuning that aurally so I can't comment on your
instructions there.
    It was interesting to see how you use TuneLab. I, myself, don't go to
that much trouble. I change things in the program as I go. I still use my
ears to tell me if I'm on track or not for any given piano and will make
minor adjustments by adding a little to the offset on the way up if
necessary. On a few rare occasions I have simply closed the program and
done the rest by ear. If I remember correctly, those were instances where
I did not get very good inharmonicity measurements in the first place. I
should have tried again but didn't.
    Jim, the reason I'm replying here is not so much to comment on your
style of tuning or the way you personally use TuneLab but rather to
support the effort of Bob Scott by saying that this program produces a
very good tuning without the need but with the capability of fiddling with
it. There are many who would be very happy to have their pianos tuned just
how TuneLab builds a tuning from the sampled notes of their piano. For
those of you out there in tuner land who might be considering an ETD
choice I urge you to take a look at this program. It is robust in what it
can do for you. It also allows for a great deal of flexibility in the way
you wish to use it as Jim points out. It's also perhaps the most cost
effective way to jump into this fascinating world of computer aided
tuning. I've seen laptop / TuneLab97 packages sold for as little as a
couple hundred bucks.
    Thanks for posting this method Jim. Perhaps I'll play with it a little
and post one of my own someday. Tuning is such an individual endeavor as
we all have our own tastes to satisfy. Happy tuning!

Greg

--
Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net