Cracked plate

Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:23:44 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: December 14, 2001 4:32 AM
  Subject: Re: Cracked plate

  "the crack-prone Bechstein plates of some decades back"

  Hi Del. Was there a range of years where this was a problem? Or are =
most all old Bechstein's subject to this weakness. (My specific concern =
is my own personal 1900 Bechstein grand that I will be rebuilding in the =
next year or so.) Thanks.

  Terry Farrell
   =20

Terry,=20

I don't know. Someone from Europe would be better able to answer this. =
There weren't all that many Bechsteins in the Northwest (U.S.) when (and =
where) I was doing field service and general rebuilding work. I've =
encountered three early Bechsteins with multiple cracks in their plates. =
The first was owned by a dealer who really, really wanted to see if it =
was salvageable--he'd way over-allowed for it on a trade--and so we =
tried but it was hopeless. New cracks appeared beside the old ones as =
the old ones were being repaired. I don't remember when this piano was =
made.

The optimistic view would be "if it ain't cracked yet, you might be =
safe..."

Del