custom steaming

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:01:16 -0500 (EST)

Hi Owen

   I just steamed a very bright Kawi. Needs new
hammers, buying some time for a client.

   I cut thin cloth approx 1 inch wide,
just long enough to do a hammer section.
Wet the cloth. Wring it out so it is only damp.
Lay the cloth on the hammers and touch with a hammer
iron for one second each. Don`t rush to so as to cool
the hammer iron down, time each one counting time ,
feeling rythmn of the sizzle and pause, get sound of
the sizzle of the hammer iron on each the same.

  Must be careful not to do more then one second, as
results are dramatic. I have only tried this on very
worn, hard, glassy sounding hammers.

  Its worked very well. Only took a few min. to do
top three octaves. This gives more control as to just
how much moisture is driven into the hammer, and
exactly where then dive bombing with a jet stream.

  Yet another technique,good for certain situations.

                      Cheers
                      Dave Renaud
                      RPT
                      Ottawa, Canada