Patrick Draine/?welding vs stitching

Moffatt & Sons Piano moffattr@cadvision.com
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 23:50:13 -0700

Joe,
Our shop recently "stitched" a 1904 Baldwin upright plate. It turned out =
beautiful. One thing about stitching, Vs welding, (we have done both) is =
it does work.
No fear of microscopic cracks developing due to the application of high =
heat. As far as cosmetics, a light grinding..you can apply some sort of =
resurfacing
material..bondo or primer..like most "good looking" plates have under =
gone, and end up with a quality job. Stitching is commonly used on =
diesel engine blocks
and heads etc. where the end result is a finely milled surface. You can =
not see the repair after the resurfacing. No bondo there. It is very =
simple to do, with , in
my opinion, superior results compared to welding. Just a couple of cents =
worth. ;-)

Bob

Moffatt & Sons Piano
Calgary, Alberta