Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:22:27 -0600

>Ron,
>     Very interesting.  I am not implying an infinite stiffness anywhere
and am
>aware of the standing waves generated in the plate but maintain that they
occur
>as a result of the superposition of the traveling waves.   I am not the least
>bit suprised that a ten pound weight would cause the case and plate to flex.
>What would be more interesting would the deflection be at far lower weights,
>for example that of a tuning fork.  Even this I think is much greater than the
>pressure change exerted on the bridge by a string or a tuning fork.  This is
>the point of contention.
>Regards, Robin Hufford

The point I obviously am still failing to make is that the effect scales. A
lesser weight would, I would think obviously, cause a lesser - but still
real - deflection. Yes, even the vibrations from a tuning fork or vibrating
string.

Ron N