Fanned ribs (was Soundboard grain angle)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:24:25 +0000

At 5:44 PM -0800 12/17/01, Gary Teters wrote:

>Last few notes before stepping onto the bass bridge have the usual
>thoinky kind of sound, would really like to get rid of that. I guess
>most uprights have a similar problem here.

Many uprights will have covered notes at the bottom end of the long
bridge.  A well designed upright of reasonable height will not need
these.  There are three ways to improve the sound of these notes and
get a better break 1) to use covered strings 2) To step _down_ a
gauge for two or three notes at the bottom 3) to use plain wire
bichords.

All of these are a compromise but can be a successful compromise, so
who cares?  Exactly which remedy will work and how well it will work
will depend entirely on the piano.  If the problem is in the bridge,
then there are relatively simple tricks to try with laths or cutting
away, but these are more radical approaches, and the strings
themselves should be optimized first.

JD